Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Hero

The week following Greta's surgery and ambulance ride we payed a visit to the fire station that our call came to. We baked a pretty plate of chocolate chip cookies and wrote a card. The morning of our planned visit we got a call asking my permission for news channel 5 to have an interview with Greta and run her story. They said they were quite taken with her and her story. I asked Greta if she would like to be on the news and she made it clear that it would be right up her alley for such an interview. We put braids in her hair and called before we came down.

But, as it goes, the medics were dispatched several times that afternoon and by the time we could sync up, the reporter had another lead for breaking news. We were not to tell our story, but still went to tell them how thankful we were that they came to our house and made us feel better. Caitlin was Greta's heroin...and might be forever. She tells me she loves her. I do, too. I told the medics that what they did for us goes way beyond answering a 911 call. They reached out to us and made such an impression that I get tears in my eyes when I replay that evening's events, and I still do, over and over again.

They told me they wanted to do something special for us and have offered their services of teaching me and anyone else I want to invite, a free CPR course here in my living room. Yet again, I am touched by them and their generosity. Incredible people. They definitely made a big difference in a little girl's life. There is hope for this world, yet.


No comments: