Thursday, May 19, 2011

A New Cast

Miss pitiful goes for a wheel chair ride.

New arm, new day.


Friday morning at 9:30 we went in for Greta's final surgery. I mean final. I hope this is totally and completely the last one. Ever. Ever ever ever. She was brave. I was brave. It went off without a hitch and low and behold, her arm is bendable again. It also sports a state of the art purple cast for another 3 weeks, followed by a removable splint. Our Dr. Gupta said she is healing beautifully thanks to all the vitamin D and glasses of milk. He did also say that her arm will indeed have a curve to it once the cast is finally removed, and it will be noticeable but will disappear as she grows. Grow Greta, grow.

Greta got a new friend after surgery. Orange Blossom from Strawberry Shortcake is in the house. The gang is complete and does it ever smell sweet around here. We can't believe the fall happened clear back in March and now we are counting down until June. These past weeks have been a total blur, a bit bittersweet to me. We are redecorating Greta's room. It seems silly. It was a gorgeous room that we have already taken apart and I never took a single picture. But I keep having flashes of terrible memories play in my head from seeing sweet Greta on the floor. We are painting it pink and lining the floor with bean bags...well, maybe only one. We debated removing her bed and placing her box springs and mattress on the floor. We debated getting a new and lower bed. We debated a futon mattress Mulan/ Asian themed room. Can I now tell you how many times strangers have dropped their flapping jaws in awe after asking Greta how she broke her arm and asked me with their tactless sense of being, "Well, how high is her bed???" I reply with a smile. Apparently it was too high. Thanks. Bitch. Several even asked if Child Protective Services came by. Nope. Don't be surprised if they do. Alrighty. Adding insult to injury. I am putting it behind us and moving forward a stronger family.

Greta always wanted a pink room, anyway. Yellow was nice, but pink is the answer. Greta wanted pink and purple and I had to draw the line. So it is now going to be pink with purple things inside. And, two framed casts...one pink....one purple. And a bed that is not too high.


No comments: