Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cute as a bug

Greta said she was thinking about her Lalaloopsy dolls.

Greta said this is her smolder.

Greta said this is something a dancer might do when dancing.

This is a Greta original smile.

This is Greta owning it.

When we signed Greta up for the tap/ ballet combo class, I knew she would probably either really take to it or she would absolutely not. I knew that either way, it would be ok with me. I am trying to let Greta choose her own loves in life, and not instill mine in her.

Well, I think she took to it more than I even imagined. Her recital is in June and her costume, the lady bug, is here waiting. Two weekends ago we got to try it on and go to the studio for pictures. I slicked her bangs back following the instructions that came with her tutu and asked Derek to take some pictures of her while I ran and got myself ready to go. What happened next was a full on photo shoot of picture after picture of this girl working the camera, and making it fall in love with her. This is no joke. I think I might need to get her an agent.

I have also noticed, at dance class, that Greta takes it all very seriously. She does the steps with absolute authority and precision. And, now that there is a cast on her arm, she is absolutely dangerous. Like a loaded windmill. I am also sure I am not going to be able to convey this correctly. Her drive is not one of a little girl pretending to be a ballerina. She is the black swan. Does that make me Black Swan Mom? Yes. Let me tell you that the day before this photo session I waited in line for 4 hours to purchase tickets to the previously mentioned recital. I felt like I was trying to see Justin Bieber. Tickets went on sale at 1:00 pm. The line began forming at the studio at 8 am and I got there at noon. I had no idea it would be like this. I saw a new world of moms in designer sweat pants and blinged flip flops that is not so different than the world of moms schlepping soccer balls and shin guards. This is serious stuff, here. In line, I stood sandwiched between two moms of 13 year old girls that dance competitively in the CPC dance group that is part of the studio. They win competitions and they live the dance. The mothers asked me how old my daughter was. I said, "4". They said, "How many years has she been dancing?" I said, "uhh, 4." She danced out of my womb.

So, now we come to the point where I have to ask myself if this is serious. Is this a world we want to join? I have made some really great friends in the lobby waiting for Greta with Jack. Maybe we can stick together and keep it fun for our kids. Fun is the point. Fun is what it is all about....All the fun we have.


No comments: