Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Buck Rogers



Several Sunday mornings ago Derek and I took the kids out into our backyard to play. Gorgeous day, but a bit windy. I spotted something and knew right away that it was either a little bald baby bird or bunny rabbit that had died in the cold mud to the side of our house were we are currently trying to get grass to grow. I made big eyes at Derek and told him he had to get it away before the kids saw it and were sad. I didn't want to see it either. I have a heart that breaks even when I see a squished squirrel on the road. But, I looked closer and it moved. It was still alive! It was a baby squirrel that was barely alive, totally pink and bald and had closed eyes. We got a box, googled for information to keep it alive and did our best. We got it warm and gave it drops of water and later honey. It loved the honey! It was a boy, Jack noticed. Like him.

We read that it would have a better chance of survival if its mother could find it again and would take it back. I made a hot water bottle, put them both on a towel in a box and put it back in the yard and watched. By dinner time he was still there. We decided to take him in and get him to a wildlife rescue center in the morning if he made it through the night. We were falling for him and his sweet little squeaks. Greta and Jack were so gentle with him. Jack was especially in love and couldn't even eat his dinner because he wanted to check on him skirl.

The little skirl made it through the night and we put him in the car, took Greta to school and ran to Target before the center opened. We got to O.W.L. and delivered the little guy. They said he looked really good and had a good chance. They whisked him back to a box with other baby skirls and that was it. No goodbye. No last look and wish for good health. We miss our baby skirl. Jack and I cried in the car. Greta cried at school when we picked her up. I hope our little guy will be flying through the trees soon. I named him Buck Rogers.

No comments: