Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Moment

I have to write this down. Sorry. I know it is one of those posts that might make your eyes roll and a pffft sound come out of your mouth. But, this happened and it was a big one for me. I might just start crying, thinking about it again.

A few nights ago after we got the kids jammies on, their faces and hands washed and their teeth brushed we put Greta in bed and tucked her in tight for Derek to read her stories before bed. I was walking out of her room with Jack to read and rock him to sleep. Greta cried out and ran to us. She wrapped her arms around him and cried. "Please don't go, Jack, I love you and I need you near me." "My brother, don't be away, I want you close." "I love you Jack." He stood wrapped up in her arms with his little legs in his red plaid pajamas and his little face tipped up to look at hers and he said, "I you, too, Gigi, I, you, too." She was sobbing into him and he was rubbing her back with comfort and Derek and I looked from their tight embrace to each other and back again over and over and over.

Whether this was a stall tactic to avoid bed time or total sincerity, it worked both me and Derek good. I was in tears over it and Derek's eyes blinked red away. It went on for a good 3 minutes and then we peeled them apart and settled them down for bed. I knew there would be moments like this that make up for all of those moments where I screamed in my head, "Why did we have them so close together in age, I am loosing my ever loving mind!" I heard several times from several people that there would be this moment. I just didn't know it would be so big.

No comments: