Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Day

I have been trying to think of what I want to capture about this Christmas and save for my babies to read. There was a wide spectrum of emotions throughout the holiday, which made it dynamic and very special...Even with those very blue moments.
This year Derek and I invited my mom - Gee, Sarah and Mark, and Shelly, Robert and Olivia to come and spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with us and then caravan to see dad - Papa, at the Veteran's home. My goodness. I even tear up thinking about it, but no one made it. I know everyone was in the place they wanted to be, so that should make me happy. I just had an idea of something that would be really fun and it didn't turn out. The weather was partly to blame. Snow was predicted on Christmas Eve and I knew that Gee would not drive in it. And, Sarah and Mark put a Christmas tree up for the first time at their fire station and wanted to spend it together there- I think it sounds romantic, but I missed them, even so. And, Shelly, Robert and Olivia declined early but said they would be up to visit again soon.

But, lucky for us, there was a back up plan! Derek's parents had come from Kentucky the day before to see family, us included, and were waiting in the wings to unload Christmas at our house! We had our favorite BBQ - Smokin' Joe's BBQ for lunch, made drinks and caught up while the kids napped and Christmas movies played. The snow came and went, and we ripped into Christmas gifts early and loved every minute of Greta and Jack loving it.

I had planned to make baked potato soup for dinner, but couldn't quite get up the gusto with the change of plans. We ordered up pasta, salad and breadsticks from Olive Garden. There are perks to living a block away from the OG! It was cozy and nice. We opened a bottle of wine and I got to use my new wine aerator. Let me tell you...It most definitely takes the sexy out of pouring a glass of wine. Derek and I laughed so hard, I had to leave the room!

With some sleepy babies, we said goodnight and poured milk, set out cookies, sprinkled reindeer food and carrots and hung our stockings. Christmas Eve is my favorite. I love knowing what the next morning may bring. I love finally falling asleep and waking up early. I woke up even before the kids! So, I ran downstairs, flipped on the lights, blasted the Christmas music and screamed, "Santa came!!" (I used to do this as a kid.)

Back upstairs I helped Jack wake up Greta, who was the sweetest little sugar plum. She woke up happy it was finally Christmas! We all ran back downstairs to see what was by the tree....And, my memory card was full on the camera. I have no pictures or video of what happened next, but I know I will never ever, ever forget the joy. Leaps of joy. Awe, and amazement. I got what I wanted for Christmas right then. Greta had asked Santa for a La La Loopsie. By the week of Christmas she had changed her wish from one, to a pile of. Good thing Santa had La La Loopsie fever and did deliver more than one, because they are all so dern cute. She got 4. And the angel child gave the one with blue hair - Mittens Fluff and Stuff to her adoring brother, Jack. Santa noted that in his records. Jack asked Santa for a poo poo. (Thomas the train....anything.) Santa brought him a Thomas that he could ride on, and off he went! He said, "Big poopoo, nah smah! Big!" We opened presents together, and made it a wonderful morning. I made Christmas breakfast (that casserole that made me rich and famous before babies). Derek used his new French press to make us coffee and we made sparkling orange juice with my new twist and sparkle.

Then it was off to see Papa! We met Papa and Gee at the Veteran's home, and Papa saw us before we even pulled into the parking lot. I thought that was really sweet that he was watching for us. Every time we visit, it is so special to him. Jack took his Thomas and raced all the Grandpas down the halls. He stopped by a big Frosty the Snowman decoration and said, "Cute" and then hit the accelerator again. We handed out sugar cookies in pretty paper bags with satin ribbon and Greta ate all the brownies out of Gee and Papa's cookie bags. She loves her chocolate. Jack managed to find a bunch of bananas and brought it to me for his snack. It was nice and relaxing to be there. I was so happy just to see Papa's face smiling and Gee looking fresh and happy....not stressed over those everyday things. On the way home it felt like we had planned a great day for the kids. They were so excited to play with new toys and put on warm pajamas and do all those Christmas things - fire in the fireplace, candles smelling good and a special dinner planned. We had fillet mignon, twice baked potatoes and steamed asparagus.

All was well on Christmas day. Though some things didn't go at all how I had expected, and some went much better. There were some derailments, but Thomas prevailed and smiles were all around...And, for the right reasons. We have this awesome love...And that is what Christmas is all about.


1 comment:

The Kazmaier's said...

Beautifully written, Bec! Sounds like the PERFECT Christmas to me! Let me know when you guys are well and we'll have to meet some evening for some girl time out...even if on the weekday!