Monday, June 1, 2009

Temper Tantrums?

I have to write this down because it is almost unbelievable. Okay...Greta is just good. She just is. She is the kind of toddler that you dream of (I don't know how I got this lucky.) She begs for haircuts and sits perfectly still and says thank you very much. She doesn't fight, she shares, she asks nicely. She hugs and kisses and minds. I could go on, but I won't.

But, we had a temper tantrum at bedtime last week. We pushed her too hard and she was over tired. I don't even really know what triggered it, but she was a hyperventilating mess. I took her into our room and sat her on the bed where she bawled so hard she could hardly breathe. I took her back into her room and laid her blanket on the ground and dimmed the lights and I sat by her blanket and bowed my head and took deep breaths to get her to follow and calm down.

After what seemed like forever, she sputtered the words out, "I wanna go downstairs and eat broccoli"?! I said, "Tomorrow we can, but now it is bed time." She sputtered, "broccoli!" "Broccoli" BROCCOLI!" We waited and calmed down again. Then Greta said to me, "May Me go downstairs and eat some broccoli and watch a bit of Oswald, just a bit, does that sound nice?" It did sound nice.

Because she asked so nice, we did go back downstairs for a few minutes and ate broccoli... and everyone was happy. And I will never tell anyone again that I have a child that begs to eat green leafies because no one will ever believe me.

No comments: