Sunday, May 24, 2009

Like a Warm Bath

We found a church! My friend and mentor, Laurel, put the buzz in my ear long ago about attending her church. Back then, we didn't even have Greta. We lived far away, and we spent our Sunday mornings sipping strong coffee in our pajamas on the couch. But, she told me about her church and especially about the choral director, Charles Bruffy. I have known of him since I was in college. I knew he was incredible and conducted the Kansas City Chorale. He has been compared to Robert Shaw and has won a Grammy or two. Little did I know I would meet him. Laurel has told him about me and I am nervous/ eager to sing for him and possibly sing in his choir. I have missed singing so much. I think that it is a part of me that I need to give more attention.

But, that is only the cherry on top - there is icing and cake to this situation, too! Two Sundays in a row we have managed to finish our big fat Belgian waffles in time to go to this church. It is a Presbyterian church that is almost two blocks from our home. We took Greta into the nursery and introduced her to the teachers and talked to them about how this was her very first time away from us. They assured me that if panic ensued, we would be found and reunited. WHEW! Greta was making friends and we ducked out and headed toward the sanctuary. Jack absolutely loves the music and all of the little old ladies waving at him. He had great time.

The church is familiar to me. It reminds me of the church I grew up in. I felt a calm and warmth there, that I am even happy to write about. It felt like a warm bath...ahhh. I have given so much thought to the spiritual growth of Derek and myself and my babies. I want to give them a foundation that will open the door to a phenomenal relationship with God and the way his Spirit can touch their lives. I want them to learn and enjoy Bible stories but I don't want any fire and brimstone or any of their experience with church to be laced with fear. I want their relationship with God to bloom in its own time.

That first Sunday their children's choir sang. It was so sweet and silly me got all misty eyed, partly with memories of myself in my little tiny choir robe and partly with thoughts of Greta and Jack up there singing, too. I wonder what the future will bring...

OH! And Greta did great in the nursery with all of the little boys and girls. She cried for a little while, but a sweet girl home from college working in the nursery took her for a walk and cheered her up. When we went to get her after the service she was sitting at the little table looking all around with her big blue eyes. She was pleased to have made a Zaccheus puppet on a popsicle stick and showed me how he got up in the tree to see Jesus...What a good story to start with! And this Sunday, Greta was with us in the sanctuary because of the holiday and lack of friends to play with in the nursery. She was so good and tried to whisper, but was just loud enough to give all the old ladies around us a good chuckle. Several times she said, "Jesus?" "Oh, I like your toes!" "That's a good book!"
Amen.

No comments: