Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cold Totties




The first snow of the year fell beautifully through the day and evening and the kids woke up to see how much was there, as if Santa had left it himself. I had picked out little snow suits and waterproof boots and gloves for the kids to open Christmas morning and was excited to see them do their stuff out there in the cold. I only have a few memories of playing in the snow as a kid. My mom just wasn't for having cold wet children and so most of my memories are of looking at the snow from the pink velvet couch in our formal living room. I would sit on my knees and rest my chin on the back of the rolled back and peer out of our front window. I gazed out at it as the door flew off of the hinges and 6 boys ran outside from the house across the street to play in my snow. The Kirks. It was a household of 6 boys in all - Chad, Chris, Cody, Casey, Clancy and Clay. They played in my snow. They also caught their house on fire a couple of times and tied a rope to the chimney and "swung around". They also made their yard a dirt bike track and kept the neighborhood alive with festivities...kite wars and bottle rocket extravaganzas. I made them play Barbies with me and I made them mud pies, so I know they also had a soft side. But, I didn't when they played in my snow.

Before getting Greta and Jack suited up I saw our neighbor, Cam, out in his driveway and I did what any good mother in my position would. I sounded the battle cry and sent the kids out to defend what was theirs. They went out and took 5 steps into it, turned to look back at me and that was about it. Jack ventured out further and might have a future in snow boarding by the look of him out in the powder, but Greta is my cocoa girl. We went back in, warmed up sitting together by the fire and ate marshmallows.

You can have our snow.

No comments: