Sunday, February 14, 2010

OXOXO

To start our weekend with lots of love, we drove to see Dad on Friday. He was feeling good and was grinning ear to ear. Poor Dad had been dealing with sleepless nights caused by a sweet roommate that sang. Constantly. Loudly. All night. Dad got a new room and a new roommate on Thursday and he said he had the best nap. I am envious of that!

We brought chocolate milkshakes and McDonald's hamburgers and fries. We settled in to the lounge chairs just outside of Papa's new room and Greta went to take a peek inside the new room. She came out puzzled and said, "What is that woman doin in Papa's room?" I thought, well, it must be family visiting the gentleman that Dad shares a room with (his name is Mr. Curtis). I dismissed it.

Gee joined us and brought chocolates and Valentines and a wonderful pop up dollhouse book for Greta. Jack got a big red bat and ball and I got a Heavenly red cashmere sweater. Greta returned to Papa's room and came out puzzled again. "Who is that woman in Papa's room?" Gee let out a chuckle and told me to go and see for myself and I would be tickled.

So, I took Greta by the hand and we went in for a peek. No woman. But, there sat Mr. Curtis at his computer, and Mr. Curtis has a shock of long black hair! To be 90 plus years old and have that much hair is something to behold, and he is proud and dyes it as black as black as night! And, Mr. Curtis is a wonderful man who we are very glad to meet. He says that he and my dad have an issue in that he can't hear a thing and my dad talks too softly. He suggested they learn sign language and I agree that it is never to late to learn!

We ate and let the babies play and amuse the nurses - it makes me so proud to see people enjoy my babies. And Jack made my heart burst into a million pieces. He said, "Papa" and pointed at him. My dad's face... I can't even describe the beauty of his smile. I have never seen so many of his teeth.

And on to visit our much loved, Mr. Cox. I know I have mentioned him, and Greta speaks of him so often - he is on her top 10 list. Mr. Cox used to have a room across from Papa and he would always join us for shakes and visiting. He is the most gentle, sweet man. He is considered one of our Grandpas - soft white hair, and pink skin and a quiet disposition. Mr. Cox's health is declining and he was moved to another wing of the Veteran's home and we have missed him. Greta misses him. We took him a box of chocolates and Greta said, "Happy Valentimes's Day, Mr. Cox" and she got out of the double Maclaren I push the duo around in and patted Mr. Cox on the knee. Mr. Cox liked his chocolates and I think he loved his sweet visitor, Greta. He shut his eyes and smiled.

The kids napped all the way home and I had time to reflect in the quiet. Though some say that Valentine's Day is a Hallmark holiday invented to make money, I know why it marks the calendar. It sits in the middle of the cold, dreary month of February, and I don't think any of us could make it through the winter without it. The day was grey. I thought I was driving with a filthy windshield and so I gave it a squirt and let the wipers go....but it wasn't my windshield, it was the day. Everyone needs to bury their nose in a bouquet on a day like that. Everyone needs a sweet pat on the knee from a tender hearted 3 year old.

And, Jack stole the heart of Papa. We all heard it...except for Mr. Curtis.

1 comment:

The Kazmaier's said...

This is so sweet Bec. What a great way to spend a day loving those around you.