Friday, September 25, 2009

Onward


I keep starting this post and deleting it because I sound like a fake cheese ball. I wanted it to go something like this - Here we are, a family of four... wrapping up a summer of memories at the pool with the awesome water slide that brought me back to my youth... But, I don't want to sound so put on. I know that everyone reading this had all of those great summer memories - fresh cut grass and dew on your feet in the morning. The smell of grills heating up and hot dogs and lemonade and ice cream cones dripping down to our elbows....The fireflies, the locusts, the thunderstorms...

But, the way the sun shines into our house is changing - I can tell you that fall is sneaking up quickly and all that I mentioned will be a distant memory... Like next week. We move onward to marshmallow season, as Greta calls it. We bought the kids new fall shoes and hoodie sweatshirts and all of the pretty colorful sweaters are showing up in the stores. I feel excited about it! I am looking forward to taking Greta trick or treating this year! She knows what to say and is ready. She says, "Twick or tweet me pweese." She is going to be a spider - picked it out herself and wears it everyday for a romp around the house. She crawls on her hands and knees like a spider would and comes up to me, directly at my feet, and says, "Excuse me, may I get by?"

Next week Jack turns one year old. I am in disbelief. I have never seen time move this fast. It just doesn't seem possible. It also doesn't seem possible that it has been a year since I have gotten to sleep more than 3 hours in a row. Jack still sleeps like a newborn. When I tell people this, some seem shocked and sad for me. Some look at me like I am crazy to let him manipulate me this way. Some seem annoyed that this is still our story. As of lately, I sit and hold him and nurse him in his dark room and I remember how tiny he was and how by next year, this special time we get together will be another one of those distant memories. I love the way he looks with his eyes shut and his little hand on me and his little mouth breathing out that sweet baby breath. You seriously can never get enough of that stuff.

So, the first birthday of Jack is planned and we are so excited for him. This time we have learned to keep the first birthday small and sweet and save the big parties for when the child can say thank you for coming. Greta will be 3 in December and she is anticipating Goofy at her party... Anybody know him? or where I can find him? I pay cash! Cash money!!

Ok, now back to the cheesy... I have been reflecting on our family of four and how grateful I am for our health and all of our laughter, and all of the insight and courage I have gained from them, even the drooler. Maybe especially from the drooler. He falls, lays there for a second and then gets right back up and goes for what he was after in the first place. He definitely has things to do. I am so glad to do them with him. Onward, we go!

No comments: