Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Don't Go Changin

Last Friday I got the kids dressed and ready to run on a quick trip to see Papa after their naps. As usual, when I want to get out and do something like that, Greta sleeps an extra hour. But, we got on the road and buzzed right to Warrensburg, even if it was a little later than I had hoped. I was bummed that the ice cream parlor would be closed, but we were taking my dad double chocolate brownies and a big huge tin of peanuts...And it was dinner time.

We listened to Greta's favorite CD. ABBA. Yep. She likes ABBA, and she means it. She started with a healthy obsession to Mamma Mia, and then heard Dancing Queen, which was on repeat for several days and now she has moved on to several others on ABBA Gold. Nothing but the best. The greatest hits, people.

We got to see Papa. He has been sick for a week or two, and we caught him on a bad day. He just wasn't feeling good and was on an antibiotic, but was still suffering. He has had a head cold, a urinary tract infection and the antibiotics to treat that give him an upset tummy. Now he has a deep chest cold. We stayed for about an hour and made him tea and chicken noodle soup. Then he was ready for bed so we called a nurse to tuck him in, and were back on the road.

It made me cry to see him so miserable. Besides being sick, it is so hard to not be at home, and I know the veteran's home is nice, but it is not home to him. And this is where the ABBA comes in... Greta was in the backseat saying, "Don't go changin' mamma." "Don't go changin' mamma" "Mamma, don't go changin'." I have not a clue, but it must be ABBA. I turn it up and flip the mirror so she can't see me being all sad driving us home. While all these thoughts about the visit are playing through my mind, this little voice in the back seat is singing louder and louder, every single word to every single song and suddenly I have a revelation.

There is a reason for everything, and hearing Super Trouper come out of the mouth of a 2 year old was meant for me at that moment and it brought me back to a better place. And, to ABBA, and to Greta, I am thankful. And, incase you are still wondering, "Don't go changin'" is what Greta calls track number 5, "Way All Your Wuv on Me". Another goodie.

I think hearing Greta sing ABBA would make Papa feel better, too. I am working on a recording. "Greta sings ABBA". It might remind you of Buckwheat singing the hits, and is worth a serious listen. You'll want it on your ipod.

No comments: