Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Little Baking, A Big Mess




We decided the best thing to do this morning after breakfast was to make a mess. We got out the mixer and the flour and then coated our fingers and cheeks with sugar. We made banana brownies. What fun it is to bake with a two year old and a shrieking baby! No, but seriously, it is so good for me to let loose and let a mess happen, and have fun. I measure the ingredients and Greta pours them in. She loves to sniff the vanilla and lick the brown sugar when I am not watching her. She holds the eggs and I help her crack them on the side of the bowl. And, Jack beats the heck out of his high chair with measuring cups.

And, then a funny thing happened. The doorbell rang. It was the nice Jehovah Witnesses....again. They were peering at me through the glass in our door, and waved. I quickly moved my glance to the bowl of mashed banana and quickly tried to decide what to do. I wish they hadn't seen me. I wish they hadn't seen me see them wave. I had to answer the door. They brought me a Bible. They like me. Maybe I am the only one that will talk to them.

In this lies my problem. I think it is great that they want to share their faith, but in this day and age, as a stay at home mother, I don't feel safe when strangers knock on my door and peer in at me. I don't like intrusion when I am trying to keep a schedule with a baby and a toddler. I don't like it when my doorbell rings 20 minutes after I have gotten Jack to sleep and he is woken for the rest of the day and I no longer have a break to brush my teeth and take a shower. I have tried to be polite and decline their doorstep Bible study, and then find that 2 weeks later another couple are ringing my bell, grinning at me over their Bibles and copies of "Watchtower". I am grateful for all the Witnesses have done for freedom of speech. I am grateful for their stand against Hitler and Nazi Germany. I admire their faith and dedication, but I loathe their persistence in trying to convert a tired, stay at home mom that is trying to keep a baby from falling down the stairs and a toddler from peeing her pants while they read me just one more scripture.

They leave me no choice. After Greta's nap we are going to color a "NO SOLICITING" sign for our door. I hope they can read crayon.

So, back to my kitchen. After the Witnesses left me. I ran back into the kitchen to find Greta had poured the vanilla down her front. Good thing the bottles are so tiny. Jack thought it was a riot and he was clapping and dripping spit. Thank goodness for a sense of humor.

No comments: