Monday, November 12, 2012

Fright Night Delight

The finale to our wonderful October did not disappoint!  Halloween is such a favorite of mine.  This year the costumes were harder to settle on, but in the end, I think we were in perfect choices.


Things are not what they seem on Halloween! A fish out of water and a yard ornament come to life went knocking on doors and raising eyebrows.  We began our haunting, traditionally, with the Lytle's.  Tara made piping hot chili, and mummy pizzas and hot dogs for the kids.  She carved jack o lantern oranges filled with berries and iced eyeball cupcakes.  We watched The Corpse Bride by projector and warmed up by the fire.  And when all of the ghoulish kids were ready, we trick or treated faster than ever.


They open their mouths as if to say, "put candy into here."


Greta eats her mummy dog with such a ladylike demeanor.


Fish Food.


Action shot.

This year, I loved being with friends and seeing the kids, getting older and wiser and even cuter if you can believe it.   But, we left the group at the end of the street and headed back to our own.  I remember how, each Halloween, my dad took us out to trick or treat and my mom stayed home to hand out the candy and tell us about the best costume of the night.  And, I think she also guarded the pumpkins from tricksters.  So, we reigned in our Halloween and made it our own.  Derek took the kids down our street, with our neighbors.  Mike and Dotty had been waiting all night to see Greta and Jack.  I was on our porch lighting our Jack o lanters when I heard them loving on the kids.  They really do love them.  They really had been waiting for them to ring the bell. I am so glad we made it back to say boo.

And, when their little legs could walk no more, they came home to pumpkin peanut butter sandwiches and glasses of milk.  And we watched the Corpse Bride on the big cozy couch.  And Greta and I cried at the end when she turns into butterflies.  

No comments: