Friday, December 30, 2011

On Christmas Day in the Morning





If, in one word I could tell you what I wanted to give my family for Christmas, the word would be joy. I want them to feel loved, and give them joy from the moment they open their eyes until they close again that evening. We sought out the most perfect gifts and as always, there are surprises that take us to a whole new level. Maybe I need a bigger word than joy!

Our Greta and Jack didn't ask for much. Greta wanted several Lalaloopsies and Jack just laughed and said Pee pee when you asked him ....and I did, over and over and over. Same answer, every time. But they are such good kids and this was the year I am sure they will remember. From all of our traditions of Christmas Eve, and breakfast to the magic of what will be found in the glow of the twinkle lights. A child can only imagine this wonder, and our memories were all brought back to stir our souls as we giggled at their squeals of delight.

I got my treat on Christmas Eve. Funny story, really. After getting the kiddos tucked into bed, I came down the stairs to see a Lucite serving tray under the tree! Ooo, I loved it and looked at Sarah and asked, what it was and who would get it. She got this excited grin and said, "You'll see." Then Greta was upset so I went up to settle her down. Mom, Sarah and Mark brought in their Christmas gifts from their cars.

I came downstairs to find an incredible antique chair reupholstered in zebra for Sarah from mom, and a Lucite serving cart with martini lamp and Lucite ice bucket...and the serving tray under the tree. I have wanted this cart for years. YEARS. My mom had it for sale in the store and decided I should have it. Sarah had brought her the serving tray for mom, but in the end it was for me! I am still smiling. I love my Christmas gift.

Mom also brought the handmade teddy bears that Santa had given Sarah and me on Christmas long ago. One is wearing the dress Sarah came home from the hospital in and the other is wearing hand made baby clothes that I played with as a child. They sit in a sleigh that my mom adorned with satin ribbon and pearls. They made me smile then, and again this year. Is that re gifting? If so, I am OK with it.

Having my family with us on Christmas morning was very special to me. I think I would have been happy with a lump of coal from Santa since they were with us. And, after we dressed and picked out a toy for the road, we went to see Papa. He was so glad to see us. He has been through a lot the past few months. We reserved a new room that is furnished with a dining room table, and also new couches and chairs. It was bright and cheerful and away from everything else. It felt good to be there with Papa and though mostly closed, his eyes opened up frequently...big and bright, and most definitely full of joy.

No comments: