Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Color Splash

 Greta is dying Easter eggs the Friday night before Easter.  This happens to be as much fun for her as I hoped.  She is so creative and amazed by the colors.  We tried hard to get some bright eggs.
 And here they are.  We got some really pretty ones.  I told the kids they could eat one for breakfast, but they wanted to save them and admire them instead.
 Jack had so much fun and is really good at timing.  He drops them in with barely a splash and checks every 3 seconds.  I would say he was more about quantity than quality.
 Girl, these are my eggs.




Well, it is May first and I still want to talk about Easter.  I had a few pictures taken the night we dyed eggs.  We really had a great time together.  I find that Greta and Jack are so much fun to be around and these special times mean so much because I am reliving things I remember about dying eggs with my sis.  We both liked the hot pink eggs.  Sometimes we put those little PAAS decal/ tattoos on them.  I cherished my favorite egg and it was my only wish to find it Easter morning.  I remember running my fingers over the egg shells and arranging the eggs in my basket by color and even naming them.  So many Easter mornings my sis and I would wake early and sit at the top of the stairs next to each other.  We would spot eggs and claim them before the hunt even began.  I remember one year there was a My Little Pony in my Easter basket.  I remember the year I got Blueberry Muffin.  I remember my sweet dad always buying corsages with tiny pearls and butterflies to match our Easter dresses.  I remember him taking us to the sunrise service and watching the sun come in through the stained glass.  I remember the year my dad sat in the kitchen smiling with his cup of coffee telling Sarah and me that there was one more treat to find.  He played "warmer or cooler" with us as we searched the house.  The treat was a chocolate carefully placed on the chandelier above the kitchen table where he sat.  What a laugh he had!

Derek and I promised to maintain a budget. I get carried away and want their Easter baskets to be magnificent.  We did great....until Jack found his hidden gifts and said, "come here, what dat?"  So, we had to move to plan B the Friday before Easter and find something that would knock his socks off.  We decided on a scooter and helmet.  Greta got the mini Lalaloospy doll house and some furniture for it.  The Easter bunny even hid tiny chocolate eggs inside!  They had pretty chocolates and jelly beans, windmills and little Easter things.  They were so happy on Easter morning.  The eggs were hidden around the house.  The baskets were in the family room on the couch and caught Greta's attention right when she came down the stairs.  Jack didn't see them but kept on going down to our living room where the scooter and doll house were.  He screamed with joy about his scooter and yelled to Greta who was yelling to him, "Jack come see your Easter basket!""And, "Gigi! You got a dollhouse!!" He took the dollhouse in his arms to bring it up to show her, and eggs and furniture went flying! It was so funny. I tried so hard to make some magic and it went unnoticed.  So, I tried to place it all back in with some tiny little chocolate eggs before she got down the stairs to see.  And she was happy and amazed even so.  The kids searched for eggs and ate treats and shared with us.  We played and gave scooter lessons in the kitchen while making Easter breakfast.

It seems a tradition now that we have carrot cake from Whole Foods each Easter - we have since moving into this house.  We picked up an incredible potato salad, rare roast beef sandwiches with horseradish on baguettes and we enjoyed another Easter....At least for me, enough to talk about it until May.

No comments: