Thursday, September 25, 2008

Greta and Her Blanket



Greta and her blankie are inseparable. When it falls out of her view you are sure to hear, "Niney, where are you?" in her sing-song way. I am challenged with the task of washing it. I have to be stealthy and sneaky. Today she saw me toss it in the washing machine and our eyes locked. "Mammma, noooooo!" she cried. I grabbed it out as fast as I could and placed it in her arms where she brought it to her lips and said, "oh, niney." Maybe tomorrow, it will get a freshener.
The last time I washed it, Derek was in on my strategy. We distracted her with a drive to Einstein Bagels for fruit and chocolate milk. She was uncomfortable the whole time - just not herself and not complete. We swung back by the house and I threw it in the dryer and drove around some more...Counting trees, singing songs, looking at my watch... whew - it had to be dry, and we pulled in the garage. We walked inside the house and she sang, "Niney, where are you?" I grabbed it, all warm and soft out of the dryer and she stood in the doorway watching. She brought niney up to her cheek and said, "Oh, niney, I know, I know...." So much love in this child.

1 comment:

The Kazmaier's said...

Oh my goodness...she is so stinkin' sweet. I love it.