Sunday, August 26, 2012

KinderGreta













Greta's first day of Kindergarten came much faster than I ever thought it would.  I had strange moments in the months prior to it where I would look at her and have tears just roll down my cheeks.  And, she would ask why.  I would laugh them off and tell her she was a little baby  not so long ago, but now that I think about it, it has been a few years.  And there is so much about that time that I don't want to ever forget...and I fear I will because the years ahead will be so busy.  I used to hold her all day. I would just let her sleep in my arms and I would hold her and watch her all day.  And my days became her days more than mine.  For instance, I would fill up the kitchen sink with warm water and bubble bath and let her splash and soak and I would then clean and mop the kitchen floor with her bubbles...and make her laugh with my mopping antics.  It was the only way to do a chore once Greta came.  I would pull warm clothes from the dryer and cuddle her in them.  That was the only reason to finish the laundry.

My days are hers.  And now I share her with some others, and she is ready.

But, the night before Kindergarten she cried like my baby again.  She had fears and said she was scared and wanted to be a baby...And it was my fault.  Her fears were my fears.  So I held her again and told her about how this adventure was perfect for her because her daddy and I had made sure it would be.

And in the morning, her first day of Kindergarten, she woke up with a smile.  She was too nervous to eat breakfast, so we took the extra time to curl her hair and read The Kissing Hand.  No tears, but lots of kisses and love.  She is brave and she is ready and because of that, I am, too.

No comments: