Thursday, August 18, 2011

Give me Props

I sit here with sore feet and a sore body after a week of working away from home. And, my mind even aches a little from trying to maintain the balance of the two jobs - mom and stylist. I was called to prop out and do wardrobe for a large Price Chopper commercial spot. I started last Thursday and finished yesterday except for all of the returns I have to make. It was the most exhausting fun I have had in a while! You know when you know you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing and it feels really good and exhilarating? That was me.

We started our shoot days early, with a 6 am call time. I was up and out the door before Jack and, Greta woke when I did and was so confused that I was leaving in the middle of the night before the sun was up. I remember from my craft service days how much I love this early morning quiet time before the traffic starts on the roads and the sky is so still before day. When I left, shutting the door softly behind me, the quiet was there and I felt a rush of memory and comfort. On the highway to our first location I could see the sunrise just starting behind me in my rear view mirror. It was blazing red, which means rain. Ahead of me, lightning started flashing through the sky. I left my rain gear at home and didn't even care. Let me get wet, I am so excited to do this job.

This was my first call to do props and I wasn't quite sure how I would handle the extreme pressure. I had to dress 30 extras in MU, KU and KSU fan clothes, and deck them out with fan props - pennants, foam fingers, hats, pom poms, megaphones, crazy necklaces, face paint and so on. I had a car full, all separated by team. I had a mountain of clothes and a rack. I had 5 paintings to place perfectly on the wall we made in our fake office. I had all the things needed to prop out a full kitchen and refrigerator. I had all the things needed to decorate 30 cars for a traffic jam scene and parking lot scene. It would be a lot to take on, but I decided the night before that I can't stress. I would just do my best.

It came naturally. I loved every minute. Even my blistered and swollen feet at the end of our long days...Even the swift changes in schedule due to the rain. I loved it. I hope this is the beginning of more calls!

No comments: