Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What Goes Up Must Come Down











To see the kids in such a lovely place, full of sunlight and gardens and fragrant flowers is perfection. We took the kids to Powell Gardens this past Sunday to see the butterflies and moths, caterpillars and chrysalis. It is about 45 minutes away, and right on the way to see Papa, so we made a day of it. It was also supposed to be about 108 degrees, so we went early.

The butterflies were magnificent and the caterpillars tickled. And, of course, they loved it all, and so did I. There is so much love put into this beautiful place, it is hard not to leave with a lighter step and free of all cares.

But, what goes up, must come down. We went to Papa's for a visit and a Dairy Queen treat and Greta took a tumble in the hallway on the way to the big cafeteria there. She landed on her face without even catching herself, so her mouth took the hit. There was blood. There was a lot of blood. A nurse came to us and rushed Greta to look at her and asses the situation. I can't even explain the fear. I thought she might have knocked teeth out of her pretty smile. I couldn't tell and was absolutely afraid to look.

To make the story even better and a little more exciting. The nurse just so happened to take Greta into the big cafeteria where Papa was eating lunch along with about 50 or so others. So, in we ran, with a terrified and screaming Greta, covered in blood and all I could think was that Papa would panic not knowing what had happened. I tried to calm Greta, listen to the nurses and search the giant room for Papa's face. I think I was in shock, because all of the little old men there looked alike and I couldn't recognize anyone. And, finally I saw Papa raise his hand to wave. I felt better already and knew he would make Greta calm, too. I ran to help him wheel over (not run over anyone in his electric wheels) to Greta and Derek and Jack and whispered in his ear what happened and that she would be ok, but needed to see him. And, I was right. Papa's calming brown eyes helped. Especially me.

Her face was washed and ice was on her lip that had 2 big booboos. There were tear streaks, but no broken teeth or bones. She will be just fine and has a reason to sip a teaspoon of Tylenol (she loves medicine). Oh! And brother Jack was so concerned with his quiet alertness, just waiting and watching with worry on his face. He wiped her face with his blanket and tried to wipe my shirt clean, too.

Papa enjoyed his Blizzard and took a chocolate milkshake back to the freezer for a treat after dinner. We went on our way, fat lip and all and have been on the ice cream recovery diet ever since. It helps with the swelling and it makes the memory of this a little sweeter. Greta said, I will hold your hand, mamma. And, I won't let go.

No comments: