Monday, September 24, 2012

Orbiting the School

As our first school year began weeks ago, I recall many people telling me that I would finally get a break, or time for myself with Greta and Jack both in school - at least for a couple of hours every week.  I had visions of myself spinning through the aisles of Target "Sound of Music" style.  I had visions of finishing housework without interruption or turning around to see the room I just tidied up instantly strewn with markers and paper.  This vision is long gone, and now I know the truth. I am busy.  

I decided to volunteer my time with the director of the school musical at Bethany and I have found that I take the kiddos to school and pick them up each day and then we go back for rehearsals sometimes twice in one day.  I also volunteered to help with school lunches, so I can proudly say that I got to be a lunch lady. I also am one of the few moms that doesn't have a full time job, so I am called to help with Kindergarten, and school pictures, and vision exams, and chasing a gingerbread man around the school. Run, run, as fast as you can!

Well, I love it all because I love my kids. My favorite day was NASA day at Bethany. I learned a lot, myself!  Mr. Potter is the seventh grade teacher who just happened to have trained with NASA.  He came to speak to the Kindergarten class about everything from the experiments of growing food on the shuttle to Mars to the Vomit Comet.  And, then we dressed the kids in space suits  and ate astronaut food.  Jack was a space monster.





Mr. Potter and his slide show were thrilling...at least to me...Kindergarteners are pretty desensitized to space ships.


We talked about space, planets, and gravity.



Greetings, Earthlings.


Nanu. Nanu.



No comments: